Sunday 9 January 2011

Another day, another interview, and a warning on over preparation...

Yesterday I recorded my 'favourite film' interview with mark Harrison for the community radio show he produces.
The subject was the 1991 film, Point Break, one I have surely seen over a hundred times in the two decades since it was first released.
The idea of the five-minute slot is to talk about your film choice, what it's about, why you like it and how it has impacted your life. I did all that and more - my usual too much more, to the point where I was spoiled for choice as to what to say and panicked that I could miss the core of my message.
I love preparation for projects; I love research and planning and I love it when it all comes together. The place where I fall down is the application: I like the spontaneity of a live performance, and yesterday, at first, I found myself merely reading from a script and it felt wooden. I had over-prepared and was so in love with the subject that I'd lost sight of the given timelines.
Mark was very professional in his interview technique and kept referring back to the SIX pages of notes I had taken with me, ultimately drawing the best from the person and the material before him, which I hope does justice to my long term love of this film.

My interview was just one contribution from the Writers Block team and should be broadcast around the end of the month as part of an ongoing feature.




Click the image or check out this link:
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php?fcode=346399e52&f=100001927273811#!/photo.php?fbid=489026496482&set=o.186588868037263

No comments:

Post a Comment